Open Letter to the Air

Now nobody knew quite what to make of him or quite what to think, but there he was and in he walked.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Is It Possible?

Children of Men is a movie that took me by surprise when I first heard of it. The general plot of that film is that in the future mankind is sterile and the race is dying out. In the midst of this decaying world, one woman miraculously becomes pregnant. The renewal of the human race depends upon the safety of that unborn baby.

This is quite a remarkable thing to come out of Hollywood - to cast an unborn child as the savior of the human race. When so many from the Left coast want to support an ideology that completely rejects the humanity of the unborn, to see a movie like this is startling.

There have been other recent movies that have been surprising. I was very surprised to see abstinence until marriage celebrated (and promiscuity painted in so ugly a way) in The 40 Year Old Virgin. Now, the makers of that film are coming out with a new shocker: Knocked Up. The story of two young strangers who have a one night stand only to discover six weeks later that a baby is on the way. Not having seen the film, I can only comment on the trailer in which there is no mention of Hollywood's favorite "choice", abortion. Instead, we see how the young couple try to learn if they can make the relationship work in order to raise the baby together. It's a romantic comedy that in the end may very well show the power of a parent's commitment and sacrifice. I hope that this movie follows Virgin's lead and promotes marriage and family in a very clear, if not completely orthodox way.

Is this a new trend? Is this possibly part of the ripple effect from The Passion of the Christ that I talked about last year? Could there be a new wave of films coming out that actually promote chastity, unborn babies, marriage, and family? How this got past the Producers-Who-Know-How-You-Should-Think in Hollywood is beyond me.

As always, I remain somewhat skeptical. There's always the chance the trailers are white-washed to lure the conservative Christian viewers to the theater, leaving out the juicy parts. But then that's what I thought about The 40 Year Old Virgin. I actually avoided the film for a while until a friend told me about it's surprising message. Despite the positive moral, even Virgin had enough "junk" in it to make it something I wouldn't let my kids see until they were in their 20's, but it's worth referring to those old enough to see it. There's just enough titillating stuff in it to make fully secularized kids and young adults want to see it. The full power of the message of the film is saved until right at the very end.

I wonder if that's how they sneaked it past the censors.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Wow. I completely avoided "Virgin" because I thought its sole purpose was to make fun of people who waited that long to have sex. That's pretty surprising that it actually has a good message.

9:27 PM  
Blogger AdmiralDack said...

In a way, the film does make fun of "40 year-old virgins" by making him a geek par-excellance. But his friends by comparison, though they seem to be more "hip", are actually shown to be miserable and dejected. Similarly, the women who are "loose" and "willing" seem to reveal the baseness of their character and the full loss of their dignity. The ending is the real payoff. Let me know if you see it!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home